Hastings Prince Edward Public Health has issued a Cold Weather Health Warning for this weekend to remind residents of the Hastings and Prince Edward Counties to take precautions as the winter temperature drops. Cold temperatures can lead to health complications such as wind burn, frostbite and hypothermia.
A Cold Weather Health Warning is issued when the temperature is predicted by Environment Canada to be -25°C or lower or a wind chill of -28°C or colder.
Protect yourself from extreme cold with the following tips:
• Wear appropriate clothing when outside including warm socks, gloves, hat and scarf;
• Dress in layers with a wind resistant outer layer;
• Wear sunglasses, lip balm and sunscreen (face mask and goggles if windburn is a concern);
• Keep moving (especially hands and feet) to keep blood flowing and maintain body heat;
• Be up to date on the weather conditions, wind chill alerts and extreme weather warnings;
• Winterize your home by checking your heating system and sealing all cracks and drafts;
• Avoid alcohol before going out in the cold;
• Know your health risks.